State testing is around the corner (end of April)
Here are the strategies we have been practicing for doing better on a reading comprehension test.
1. Read the questions first.
2. Underline or highlight the key words in the sentence.
3. Read the passage 2 - 3 times.
4. Underline or highlight the key words in the passage that help you answer the questions.
5. As you answer the questions, go back to the passage to check.
6. Eliminate the answers you know are wrong.
Other basic helpful hints:
Get plenty of sleep the night before.
Avoid high sugar foods.
Eat a breakfast high in proteins.
Chew gum during the test to keep you alert (with teacher's permission of course).
What are some other strategies you use?